Friday, November 12, 2010

Chapter 12: Alex

As I walked down the hall and followed the signs to the hospital’s cafeteria, my mind whirled like a tornado, tearing at my emotions until I had no control of my own thoughts. I can’t believe that bitch had to come in and ruin everything.

When Luna answered the knock on the door of her father’s hospital room, I had expected to see an older woman with brown hair on the other side. Where is Luna’s mother, anyway? Shouldn’t she be here with her injured husband and grieving daughter? Instead, I had seen an attractive young woman, a woman who threatened to destroy what little progress I had made. Luna stepped into the hall to meet her visitor, so I couldn’t hear everything she said, but I did hear Luna shout with excitement, even from within the hospital room. She sure had sounded happy to see Tera, happier than I wanted her to be. Luna had stayed out in the hall with the interloper for too long, so I’d had to step out and make my presence known. The last thing I needed was someone else to come in and comfort Luna in my place. She was finally opening up to me. I mean, hell, when the nurse interrupted us she was about to tell me about her family, something that sounded like a confession.

Confession. Has Luna been hiding something from me, something besides her plans to reach the moon? I began to grow suspicious. After all, Luna’s dad sounded surprised to receive visitors. And he wasn’t very nice to Luna. Did he really think she hadn’t made something of herself?

But none of that mattered right now. I tried to distract myself from thoughts of doubt concerning Luna’s family and focus instead on what to do about Tera.

I had tried to be civil, but Tera was clearly not interested in manners. She seemed more interested in Luna. How did Tera know so much about Luna? I wondered. They had to have been more than just officemates. After all, Luna and I were officemates, and we had even been on a date together. But how was I supposed to know that Luna never takes anything with her coffee? Tera was so smug about it, too. I hated her holier-than-thou attitude about the fake moon landing. Does she think she is better than everyone else at NASA? Why doesn’t Luna see what I see? How could she be so oblivious?

Just then my phone rang out with John Barry’s “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.” A feeling of dread washed over me, because that sound could only mean one thing. I pulled the phone out of the zippered compartment on the side of my shoe and answered with as much composure as I could muster.

“Aleksandr Buchkiev.” It was almost disorienting to say my Russian name after so long.

“Buchkiev, I have some words for you. A ticket is waiting for you at the Orlando International Airport. Your flight leaves at 9 am and you are to report to my office as soon as you arrive in Moscow,” said Chairman Kerimov impatiently.

“Yes, sir,” I responded, fighting to hide my anxiety from my voice.

The line went dead immediately. I know I haven’t provided the Space Program with actual plans for a rocket yet, but I’m trying, and I am closer now than I ever have been. But this will be a serious setback. I sat down and placed my face in my hands as I realized that I would have to leave Luna here with that Tera. Tera, who will comfort Luna. Tera, who obviously already knows more about Luna than I do. Tera, who threatens to undo all the progress I have made. I cannot believe this is happening.

As I walked back to room 170, I tried to decide what to tell Luna. How could I tell her, in the midst of her crisis, that I was leaving? If I told her immediately, she would probably never trust me again. I would always be the guy who left her when she needed someone, and that damned Tera would be the girl who had been there for her! I just couldn’t stand the thought.

Then a thought occurred to me, a thought that only further complicated my situation. They need me back on a plane in under six hours, and it’s a five-hour drive to Orlando from here. What the hell am I going to do? I have no choice but to leave Luna with Tera.

Before I reached the room, I heard Luna and Tera talking. I looked down the hall and saw them sitting together. Luna wasn’t even with her father! I was horrified that Tera was so interesting to Luna that she could seemingly take her mind off her father entirely, while I struggled even to make her stop crying.

“Here you go, Luna,” I said as I handed her a cup of coffee, black, as Tera had so helpfully suggested to me. “Are you feeling any better?”

“Yeah. Thanks a lot, Alex. I just feel guilty that I’ve kept you so long. You should go home. Tera said she would stay with me, and we have catching up to do anyway,” said Luna. Tera smiled at me and glared faintly. Okay, you win for now. But I’ll be back, I thought.

“I’m glad to hear that, because I unfortunately do need to go. I just remembered that a couple of months ago, I took a small photography job in Alabama. I should probably get home and pack, since I start on Monday. I’ll call to check in on you soon, and I won’t be gone long. Try not to miss me too much,” I said as I smiled and saluted her. I had to keep the charm going if I was going to pick up where we left off when I returned.

“Don’t worry about me, but thanks for the concern.”

“Yeah, don’t worry. She’s in good hands,” said Tera.

As I walked through the hospital doors toward my car, I could not what had just happened. Don’t think about that right now, I told myself. I had to prepare myself for my meeting with Kerimov. Why did I waste so much time with Luna? She has been essentially worthless so far. Now I have to face the consequences, whatever they might be.

2 comments:

  1. So I gave him a crazy ringtone, which probably would not have existed in the 70s. I figured that spies should be advanced, right? But my feelings won't be hurt if someone thinks I should take it out. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete