Friday, November 26, 2010

Chapter 26: Alex

I strolled down the bustling construction dock, checking in on the various projects that were being worked on. I entered the area where the electronic components were constructed. Dozens of engineers were tinkering, fastening, typing, assembling, and pressing buttons. I peered down at one man as he labelled wiring. I wasn't exactly sure what the wiring was supposed to connect to, but I assumed he was doing it right. He looked up at me and smiled nervously. I nodded shortly and moved on.

"Supervisor Buchkiev!" Another worker called me over.

"What do you need?" I asked condescendingly.

"I'm wondering whether the control board in the main cockpit should include manual switches that regulate the combustion rate inside the shuttle thrusters, or whether we should make it automatic."

I was momentarily lost for words, but quickly regained my composure. "I would ask Engineer Fedorovitch. He's on the original planning team and I'm sure he has time to explain the workings to you."

I wandered through the maze of electronics toward the center of the huge covered arena we were using as the construction dock. Towering above the rest of the workstations, the main body of the rocket was being assembled in the middle. I smiled proudly at the colossus as I made my way toward it.

After I had taken the plans, my life changed completely, and I'll admit that I was fine with that. I was back in my own country, speaking my own language. No longer did I have to hide my identity and pretend I was something I wasn't. And I was important. Supervisor Buchkiev. I spent my days at the construction site, making sure everything was progressing in a timely manner. At night I went back to my apartment. Sometimes I would drink until my head buzzed and my fingers tingled.

But I never went back to my parents' house. I never thought about Kisa. I never thought about the cowardly way I had run out of the NASA complex being chased by a woman, and my failed attempt to win over Luna. I never thought about anything that made me feel like a failure or inferior. Those things didn't matter. My dreams were becoming reality every day right before my eyes and under my careful supervision.

I neared the huge metal hulk that was the body of the rocket. Construction workers on scaffolding were riveting and screwing in bolts, measuring, and calibrating with fine-tuned instruments.

Over the din, I heard voices.

"Are you sure he is to be trusted? What if he lets slip what is going on here? We shouldn't just let him roam around."

"It's all right, I think. There is nothing else for him to do. If he weren't hanging around here, he would have more time and reason to go talking to other people. Besides, here we can keep an eye on him."

"Right. But if the project fails, you know what we have to do."

"The project won't fail!"

I looked around a large welding machine and saw Karimov and another official talking.

"Who are you talking about?" I asked as I walked up to them.

They looked at each other.

"Trzemin. The delivery boy," said Karimov.

"I see," I said. "I would keep an eye on him if I were you."

I didn't feel any qualms about addressing Karimov in this manner. No one ever reprimanded me. No one ever gave me any orders anymore. Not even Karimov. And why not? I was the one who had acquired the plans that made all this possible. When I had requested to be part of the interpretation team, no one had made any objection. Granted, I didn't know much about rocket building, but I had contributed by explaining some English terms here and there to the engineers. Besides, there wasn't much that needed to be done in terms of refining the plans. The blueprints I had provided were almost perfect, as I assured the others most frequently.

I walked around the rocket for the tenth time, admiring the grand, stark beauty of its strong hull. Take that Luna. Take that Kisa. Soon I will be flying this rocket to the moon, and you will be stuck here on this lowly planet. You may think you have accomplished something, but watch out, sooner or later Alex will turn the tables. Haha!


1 comment:

  1. woah, this is really short. I honestly couldn't think of anything else to write. But I can come up with something if it needs to be longer.

    ReplyDelete