Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 8

From the moment Luna mentioned building a rocket, the only thing on my mind was those files I had found locked in her desk. The look on Luna’s face had been so uncertain that she’d almost lost the faint resemblance I’d always drawn between her and Kisa. Kisa had never looked anything less than smug and conniving. I was disturbed from my thoughts by the sounds of tapping invading my ears.

We’d left work a few hours ago, after brainstorming for what seemed like an eternity. Somehow or another, we never really talked much about rockets the rest of the day, instead focusing on how skeptics were criticizing our faked moon landing. After work we parted ways for a bit to get ready for a dinner together, and met again in a quiet little restaurant close enough to Luna’s residence. I’d booked a seat in the back, so as to avoid anyone who might happen to listen in on our conversation. We were waiting on our food to arrive, when the tapping began. I knew I had to pry information out of her somehow, if only just to stop the tapping.

“Luna, you seem more stressed than usual, is anything the matter?” I kept humor in my voice as to not sound too serious, but there was always that constant undertone of caring that I had adopted recently. I knew I could make Luna melt if I just kept acting sensitive to her needs. The tapping thankfully abated as I asked my question, I could tell she was pondering how to respond.

“I suppose the weight of our task is pressing down even harder than usual on me today.” Was her eventual excuse. I could tell something else was on her mind, just from the way she was fiddling with her papers now. When Luna was stressed about anything NASA related, her hands were constantly messing with her hair. It was as if her brain was attempting to fly off to the stars she was constantly thinking about, and only the lid of her skull was keeping it in place. Deciding to press Luna a bit today, I leant forward across the table and looked her in the eye.

“I can tell when something other than work is bothering you. Why don’t you let me in, even just a little?” I’d discovered that putting the right amount of charm in my voice usually did the trick when getting Luna to start talking. An odd looked crossed her face, before she sighed.

“It’s nothing I should worry you about, Alex. Since it’s not work related or anything, I shouldn’t bore you with my personal issues.” I could tell she was a margin away from spilling her guts about whatever she was thinking, I only had to persuade her that I would happily listen to her whole life story if she so chose to tell it.

“Is everything alright with your family? Or friends? If there is anything I can do to help you, just ask me and I’ll be happy to help.” Luna let out a laugh at the mention of friends, and I knew my mistake instantly. The scientist was so driven by her work, the scant few acquaintances I confirmed she spoke to regularly were a few of our coworkers and a girl she spoke briefly to every time she went grocery shopping.

“No, everything is fine with my family. It’s just hard, you know? We were always such a close family, even though my father had to work in some far away places every now and then. We always spent holidays and birthdays together. I guess this restaurant reminds me of a place we used to go and have family dinners all the time. We always went on outings together and things like that.” There was an awkward pause, and Luna chose not to continue speaking. I suppose she was done sharing for now, but at least the pen was laying forgotten next to her glass.

“I understand completely what you mean,” I lied smoothly. “I chose to move far away from my parents in order to find a good job.” I didn’t want to speak more on my past, especially not after the way I’d behaved the other night. I had no idea when my practiced calm would shatter in the wake of memories of Kisa. Luckily the food arrived soon enough. I managed to generate some small talk about food, having learned as much as I could about American eateries. I found out about Luna’s avid dislike of mushrooms, and even invented some pleasant family recipes she should try.

The evening wound down slowly enough, and just as I thought I would be bored to death by another story of some MIT science fair or another, Luna began to start yawning. Almost looking surprised, Luna apologized.

“Perhaps I should get you home then, Luna. Wouldn’t want to keep you out too late, the Director might get angry with me.” She nodded her ascent as I walked behind her to help with her coat. I quickly grabbed the bill before Luna could even look at it, and left a few bills on the table for the waiter. As we made our way outside, I stretched my legs a bit, preparing for the walk to Luna’s home. I’d chosen this particular restaurant for this very reason. If I could walk Luna home, there was a chance she’d invite me in, thus giving me a better look into her domestic life, or what there was of one.

We talked very little on the way, and I assumed the woman was a lot more tired than she let on. Perhaps after I called her in the middle of the night she couldn’t get back to sleep. It was likely she was enamored with me already. As we made it to the front step of her house, we could hear the faint ringing of her telephone.

“That’s odd, no one should be calling me this late.” Luna rushed to unlock her door. While she answered the call, I waited obediently just inside the door way. I took the time to peer through the dim hallway and could barely make out some pictures hanging on the wall. When Luna returned, her face had become ashen. I looked at her questioningly, and she had to lick her lips before addressing me.

“I-it’s my father. Factory, uhm, there was an accident at a factory. His legs, oh god! His legs have been chopped off!” Within milliseconds she’d broken down and was crying into her hands. I calmly walked over to her and told her that I would be going with her to the hospital. I could clearly see that it was an opportunity, and I was going to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment