Saturday, November 6, 2010

Chapter 6

The clock on the wall had been ticking away, much too loudly, with every second that passed as I sat like a lump on a log, glued to my squashy armchair. I finally gave in and glanced at it, not really wanting to know how much time I’d wasted staring out my living room window. The moon was almost full. There has to be a way to get there, and I can’t do it without Luna. The clock told me it was half past two in the morning. I’d abruptly ended and walked out on my conversation with Luna about 3 hours ago now, and I’d just been sitting here since then. Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I was so close!! Luna was starting to give in to me. What was I thinking?  I shook my head trying to make the angry thoughts disappear. Had I really messed up that badly by leaving so hastily just when our conversation was getting personal? I got a little antsy just because she asked about my family. Stupid. But just the thought of Kisa, my sister, makes my hands start to shake with rage. I despised everything about her, especially the fact that she’d gotten the gene for those crystal blue eyes. If I had those, Luna would be falling all over me. She’d say, “Here, Alex. Take my genius plans and calculations. They’re all yours.” Pfft. Who am I kidding? She’s already begging for my attention, even though I walked out on her. Kisa, I will never forgive you.  My thoughts started to drift to the corners of my mind, and through the cobwebs I could still remember that day…

. . .
“Alexander, we proud of you so, your father and me.”

My mother always tried to speak to me in English at home, at least some of the time. She’d hired a tutor for my sister and I to learn it as our second language. She wanted us to be successful, and by us I mean my sister. Had she just given me a compliment? Surely not!

“Ms. Viktorija tell me you score high on quiz last. Maybe smart like your sister you are. She so intelligent, my little Kisa. Strive be like her you should, Alex!”

Of course, she couldn’t ever just give ME a compliment. She always had to talk about her “little Kisa.” I wanted to tell her that maybe she should attend our tutor sessions as well, because her broken English bothered me, but I kept my thought to myself and walked out the kitchen door, frustrated that my glory had been stolen by Kisa once more. Why did my parents favor her so? I was smarter than her, at least in our English lessons. I was better at photography than her too. And math. And science. So what if she was a wonderfully beautiful ballerina and poet? Did that really make her better than me? Blood started to rush to my cheeks as my face grew hot with anger. I was about to step off of our lawn as I heard someone call my name.

“Hey Alex! Alex! Get back here, I want a word with you!”

Great. What does precious little Kisa want? I turned on my heel and stepped back onto the grass.

“Yes, Kisa? What do you need?”

“Did mother just compliment you? She should know my last quiz wasn’t as good as yours because I was ill. Just because you got a better score than I did doesn’t mean you’re smarter than me, Alex. Hopefully you know that by now.”

“Kisa, I am not in the mood for this today. Shut your mouth and leave me be.”

“That’s no way to talk to your only sister, Alexander. Mother wouldn’t like that tone if she heard it. She wouldn’t like it one bit. Shall I go back and tell her? I definitely think so. You seem to be enjoying yourself too much anyway. You need that freedom taken away, just for a little while, to remind yourself that you’ll never be better than me.”

She started to skip back to the patio, and was too close to the sliding-glass door for comfort.

“SHUT YOUR MOUTH, KISA! Where are you going??”

I had just recently gotten un-grounded from the last time Kisa had made up something ridiculous to get me into trouble.

“KISA, STOP! COME BACK HERE!”

I chased after her, but I wasn’t quick enough. She had too much of a head start. She was just about to walk in through the sliding-glass door when my dog, Sacha, ran between her legs.

Mid-sprint, I froze.

I heard Sacha’s choking cry of pain and a loud crack as Kisa slid the door shut behind her. Had that crack been his neck? No. No, no, NO.

“Sacha!” I cried. “NO!! Sacha, are you okay boy?”

I ran to him, tears streaming down my face already. Sacha had been around ever since I could remember. He was at least ten years old. He was my best friend. He even slept with me.

“Sacha, get up boy. Come on, get up. You’re okay. Just a little bump, right? Surely that’s all.”

 But Sacha wasn’t moving. I slid the door back open and his body fell limp. Every cell in my body was pulsing with rage.

“DAMN YOU, KISA!!!! Look what you’ve done! Look at him! Just look!”

“Get up, mutt. Quit whining, Alex. It’s just a dog. Anyway, mother, as I was saying, Alex was taunting me terribly. You should have heard him!”

“REALLY, KISA? YOU JUST KILLED MY  DOG!! CAN’T YOU AT LEAST FEEL SORRY FOR ME, JUST THIS ONCE???

“Alexander, watch your mouth. To your room, now. Father will tend to dog when he return.”

I stared at her, wondering how she could be so cruel, and how Kisa got her to bend to her will like that. I finally found it in me to move my feet, and I walked out of the kitchen. I saw Kisa’s grin in the hall mirror, and all I could do was keep walking.
. . .

Damn it, Alex. Why do you let yourself think about that? I always tried to not ever allow my thoughts to stray back to that particularly tragic day from my childhood. I stretched, my legs having gone completely stiff, and stood up for the first time in hours. You’re not worth it, Kisa. You’re not worth me ruining my chance with Luna and her secret plans. I walked to the kitchen to get a drink, and spotted the phone on the wall. A light-bulb starting flickering off and on in my head. Maybe I should call her. I hope it’s not too late…
I picked up the phone, full of hope for the first time in three hours, and dialed her number.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“Hello?” Luna answered, sounding startled.

“Luna! Hey! It’s Alex. I’m so sorry to wake you, but I just couldn’t sleep without apologizing. I didn’t mean to walk out on our conversation like I did. I’m so sorry. I was just tired and grumpy.”

“Oh, it’s no problem Alex. Really.”

I noticed that the tone of her voice was higher. I was sure she was blushing again. She must think she’s really important since I’m calling her at such a late hour to apologize. Girls.

“And it’s just… thinking about my sister… it makes me angry. I apologize again. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you.”

“It’s fine, Alex. I promise. Don’t worry. I’m sorry you’re upset with your sister. Do you want to talk to me about it? I’m here for you. I hope you know that.”

“Yes. Yes, I’d like to talk about it. But not now, it’s so late. How about tomorrow? Tomorrow evening, that is. Let me take you out to a nice dinner. You deserve that. I know you’re stressed out with everything that’s going on at work. Let me take you out, please?”

“Oh, um, yeah, yes. Absolutely. I’d, I’d really like that.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow then. Sleep well, Luna. Sweet dreams.”

“Goodnight, Alex.”

I hung up the phone, and smiled to myself. She’d fallen for it. I was in her good graces, and all was well. Girls. They’re so predictable. I’ll have you wrapped around my finger in no time, Luna Starchild Smith.

2 comments:

  1. It's a little longer than 1000 words, but I didn't think that really mattered...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it Kels! You're development of character is fantastic. Great work - very proud for you!!

    ReplyDelete