Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chapter 21: Luna

I know, Luna. I know, Luna. I kept running over the words in my head. The voice was strange, distorted in some way. Like the man talking was speaking in a foreign language as a second language. It sounded like a harsh language. German? No. Russian. Definitely Russian. But why would someone who speaks English try to force an accent? The person had to be trying to hide something. Their identity perhaps? What they knew? And how they knew it? I kept thinking through it. Circular thoughts that seemed obvious, but the simplicity of these questions and answers were relaxing in comparison to the other issues in my life at the moment.

I was walking back towards my father's room when the weight of what just happened actually hit me though. A man with a Russian accent sends a message to my pager. A pager that was government issued and no one had access to unless given the number by myself or my superiors. They know about the moon landing. Or rather, the fake moon landing. My heart began to pound faster and faster. I could feel the blood rushing to my face. I gasped for breath again and again. I could see the door just feet in front of me. If I could just get to the door and get inside...Tera.

As if Tera could hear my mind pleading for her she opened the door and I feel into her arms.

"Star, whats wrong? What happened?" I shook in her arms uncontrollably. Shivering from the reality of the danger my job and the entire NASA organization was in.

"Is if your father?" I forced my head from left to right. "What then?"

"NASA...someone knows."

"Well of course people know. Kinda my fault, remember?" she said mockingly.

"No, someone for real knows. Not just speculation. They got my pager number. And when I called him back he said he knew. He knew my name."

"Wait, what do you mean? Star slow down and talk planner. He knew about the fake moon landing or he knew your name?"

"Shhh," I cut across her words sharply. She could not just go around broadcasting things like that in the open. I mean sure there was something on the TV every other day debating whether or not we had made it to space. But there was a difference between that and two women standing in the middle of a hospital throwing around words like NASA, moon landing, and stating that the leaks were one of their faults. Especially when one of the women is only standing by using the other's body as a crutch.

"Not here Tera. We need to go somewhere else."

"OK we will go out to my car. I am just going to tell your dad that we are stepping out for a second. Can you stand here by yourself for a minute?" She leaned me into the wall behind us and walked into my father's room. How could she care so much after every lie I had told her about my family? After I had pushed her away all that time we worked together? After how I pushed her away last night? The panic that I had felt moments before came rushing back to me again. I bent down, putting my head between my knees to keep my breathing calm. Tera was back to my side in an instant, pulling me up and walking me slowly out to her car.

The bright sunlight was stunning in this moment. I felt as if I had not seen the daylight in weeks. And when I stopped to think about it I really hadn't. I spent all of my time cooped up in my office in the basement of the building. I came into work before the sun was up and left long after it had set. The warmth of its rays on my skin awakened my senses and made my head feel less groggy.

Tera lowered me into the passenger seat of her beat up car and I watched as she walked around to the other side, got into the drivers seat, then turned to look at me.

"OK, now start from the beginning. What happened?"

I told her about the page, how the number made me nervous and I called from the hospital phone. And what they said. And my fear--the enemy knew. For real knew.

"This was a man's voice?" I shook my head yes. "And you say it was a Russian accent?" Another nod yes. "Well, how did they say it?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, was it threatening? Welcoming? What tone did they use?" I thought back to the phone call. Tried to remember the exact voice. A cold chill ran up my spine despite the stuffiness of the car and I shivered.

"What?"

"The voice was familiar. Like they knew me. The way they said, "Luna." Its like I have heard the way they said it a thousand times before, but I don't know where. I have never heard it in that accent. And it was not threatening at all. It was welcoming. Like they were glad that they knew and I should be too. Like they could help me." I paused and looked at Tera's face, which had contorted into a scowl.

"I know, you think I am ridiculous. How could I know that right? Letting my mind run away with me, again."

"No, Star. Its not that. I am just thinking. Its strange. I don't doubt you at all. I am just as scared as you are...well almost. And your number is still private, right? You haven't given it out to anyone?"

"The only people who have it are the people at NASA." I began to cry at this point. Terrified of this stranger that had the power to potentially ruin my plans, my life. Tera leaned over a cradled my head in her arms.

"I am so scared Tera."

"I know Star. I will get to the bottom of this. I will find that number. That person. It will all be OK."

No comments:

Post a Comment